Monday nights were always “Deutsches Abendbrot”, a german style dinner with breads, cheeses, meats, pickles, cucumbers and some other vegys cut up…. but it too has been veganized! Now, one of my favourites I like to serve, is from, you guessed it, “Oh She Glows”…. the Chickpea Salad. A must to keep in your fridge!! This salad would be awesome to bring along for a picnic! Down at the Beach, on a Hike, or for a Road Trip!
- 1 (15-ounce/425 grams) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons store-bought or homemade vegan mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard (I used Dijon Mustard)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh dill (optional)
- 1 1/2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas with a potato masher until flaked in texture.
- Stir in the celery, green onions, pickles, bell peppers, veganaise, and garlic until combined.
- Now, stir in the mustard and dill, and season with the lemon juice, salt, and pepper, adjusting the quantities to taste.
- Serve with toasted bread, on crackers, wraps, or on top of a basic leafy green salad. Or just enjoy it all on its own! (I have many times!!!) (p.s. it kinda tastes like a chicken salad, for real, so you could fool some of those meat eaters. I don’t think they would suspect!)
…. OR ….
…a juicy crunchy Cabbage Salad with a Tahini-Lemon Dressing! This Salad rocks, especially with the dressing. Basically, you just need to chop up…
- Red Cabbage
- Red Pepper
- Celery Stick(s)
You can also add an apple, onion, yellow pepper, radish… then sprinkle with 3 – 4 tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds (baked for 8 – 10 min. @325 F).
- 1/4 C. Tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 C.fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 C. Nutritional Yeast
- 2 – 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp water
You can blenderize or just stir it up with a fork, that works well too! Absolutely delicious combo!!
These Salads will make you GLOW from the inside out!!!
No wonder, that’s because they contain…. Anthocyanins! All these delicious vegys, and fruits, like red cabbage, eggplant, beets, berries, red onions, kidney beans, pomegranates, plums, grapes (including wine), tomatoes, acai, bilberry, chokeberry, elderberry, and tart cherries contain….
“Anthocyanins ….. a type of flavonoid, a class of compounds with antioxidant effects. Found naturally in a number of foods, anthocyanins are the pigments that give red, purple, and blue plants their rich coloring. In addition to acting as antioxidants and fighting free radicals, anthocyanins may offer anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and anti-cancer benefits.